The other day I deactivated my Facebook account.
Then I turned it back on, but deleted the app from my phone.
For a while now, I’ve struggled a bit inside as to whether or not social media is a net positive in my life.
Of course, there are some positives. But are the negatives shouting louder?
- I’ve watched the addictive behavior it creates in my own psyche, and I don’t like it.
- I think it can be an ego monster, feeding the beast in a negative spiritual direction.
- Often, it’s the evil nemesis of concentration and productivity.
- Many think a better name would be ‘Fakebook‘, because…
- I also think it fosters the illusion of relationships, where we have lots and lots of very shallow connections and less and less deep and meaningful ones.
All of these thoughts were already floating around in my mind and then 2 bomb shell videos hit the internet from former Facebook execs saying things like,